10.02.2008

Read a Banned Book!

Here's a bookmark to help you.

Read a banned book this week! This week is Banned Books Week. To read more about banned books, and what books are currently being banned, go to

Support Intelectual Freedom. Once People are allowed to dictate what other read, it is a very short step to telling people what they must think, wear and say. Intellectual freedom affects everyone. As a designer and artist, I want to have the freedom to design as I wish.

Here are more links for info on banned books.

One of the things that stands out most for me: Of the top 100 books books, I have read over 85% of them. I find it ironic yet perfectly predictable that Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451, a book about the dangers of banning and burning books is on the list.

So read a banned book, and express yourself with your art, no matter what your medium.

3 comments:

SarahKelley said...

That's pretty incredible. I've not read most of them, but of the ones I've read, I can't fathom why they should be banned. Call of the Wild? Julie of the Wolves? What's even faintly controversial?!
I love To Kill a Mockingbird and Fahrenheit 451 . . .
I'm pretty floored.

April Ellis said...

How can a person be whole if he/she is told what to think. Surely people can make their own mind up. It's like people who make complaints about TV programs being offensive. Don't watch them! It really annoys me. There are so many closed minds out there. This is a great cause. Glad you drew our attention to it
X

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Who decides what should be banned and shouldn't be banned. We are supposed to have the right to choose what we want to read. Noone should have the right to dictate that to us. You go girl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails