4.20.2010

quilted inchie pendant

Here is the finished piece on my computer desk, being admired by a small desk gnome my youngest daughter made for me. The pendant is 1 1/16 inches x 1 3/8 inches. The fabric square (minus embroidery stitches) is one square inch.

Recently I discovered A.T.C.'s, and along the way came across a reference to "inchies," on the blog "Small World of Inchies and Twinchies." This is a fun blog with open challenges on a regular basis. I had to learn more, and came across an article about art quilt inchies.

Art and quilting and inchies? All at once? I had to try it! And it is fun!

front view, close up

This piece came together so quickly and was spontaneous every step of the way. And colour! I got to work with some of my favorite colours.

Back view, close up

I started with a one inch square piece of fabric for the top and for the bottom, as well as a piece of batting, some scraps of fabric, thread, and a glue stick.

The wire frame was a piece I had made ages ago, then decided it didn't work for what I had in mind. I had set it aside on my work table where it had languished. Suddenly, I knew the frame was the perfect thing for my first inchie. I added the embroidery at the bottom in yellow to give the piece a better fit, and button holed the piece to the wire.

I dug through my stash and came up with this nice coppery chain and a clasp to finish the piece up.

I hope others give this a try.

Just an aside - a great reference for getting started in A.T.C.'s is "Art in your Pocket"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails